This blog is for teachers, principals and other stakeholders who are part of the Attalim Schools' Professional Learning Community. This is a space for sharing success stories, student work, readings, reflections, questions and ideas. We hope this blog will encourage on-going dialogue, collaborative learning and professional growth, even as we focus our efforts on improving student learning.

This site is maintained by Reniscience Education LLP. <--- Click on the link to visit our page and support us!


Monday 7 October 2013

Mansi Panjwani

Introduction: As a Peace Educator

Dr. Daisaku Ikeda writes, “Fostering capable people- that is the purpose of education. And it is capable people fostered through education who will construct peace and create a new day.” 

As a child I had this ideal dream of wanting to change the world. However, it was not until my graduation, that I realized- education is key to bringing about peace in the world. It is what we choose to 'teach' and how we choose to 'teach' that can create a huge effect on someone's life and their life choices. 

After completing my Master's Degree in Conflict Analysis and Peacebuilding, I joined Teach for India (T.F.I) as a primary school teacher in a municipal school in Pune. I was convinced that I love being a teacher in the classroom with 30 students who have the ability to drive me crazy and drive me to work my hardest at the same time. I learnt, failed, failed some more, learnt some more, loved, felt loved, reflected and grew into a much more responsible person by the end of two years.

Post my classroom experience, I continued to work with Teach For India as a Manager to train teachers in their on-going development. In this past year, I pursued a Master's in Peace Education. I am on this new journey of learning and sharing what it means to educate for peace and by peaceful means- the kind of education that empowers the teacher and the learner together- asking questions like- How can we integrate core values of respect, sensitivity, compassion, critical understanding, cooperation into our daily curriculums as well as into our school policies and practices to make our immediate school envrionments more peaceful?

I am excited to learn with you and share my thoughts as our interaction grows. 

Looking forward to meet you all in Udaipur,

Mansi Arun Panjwani
   

3 comments:

Reniscience Education said...

Mansi will be leading the English workshops in Udaipur!
Welcome!!

M Hatim Kausarali said...

Mansi Ma'am, it was really pleasant having known a complete new perspective towards teaching and learning after the tremendous three day PD workshop with you all.
I have a question especially for you that How to convey the message to a student that you are wrong or that is not right in a manner that you instructed us that the student doesn't feel unsafe and demotivated, in fact you told us how to say so in a way that would help them better themselves and help them taking risk again in responding to a further question?
I have gone vague and can't recapitulate those sentences. Please help:)

Reniscience Education said...

Hello Hatim Sir,

Firstly, please know that I am very glad indeed to see that you have immediately started putting our discussions into practice. I totally agree when you mentioned, 'strike the iron while it is hot'. Congratulations on that.

Regarding your query, please find my response below.

I appreciate that your focus is on the child not feeling unsafe or demotivated. This is of prime importance.
There are multiple levels of how to deal with such a situation but I think you are asking about the situation when a child gives a wrong answer in class.

In such a case, it is important that we as teachers, do not correct the child at every small mistake that he/she does.

Here are a few techniques you can apply-

1. Paraphrase- If you broadly understand what the child is saying, you can paraphrase (or restate in different words) the answer for the rest of the students. E.g. "Are you saying _____________?" OR "I think you are saying ______. Right?"

2. Acknowledge for trying- If a student tries to give an answer and even if the answer is wrong, first acknowledge their effort to try. E.g. "Thank you for trying Abbas, but can you think some more? I was looking for a more specific answer" (Repeat the question) and ask the entire class to think?
OR
"I like that you are thinking, but can you think some more about __________".

It is important that your intention is for your students to feel safe, so even your body language, your facial expressions etc. can say a lot to the child. Please be cautious about how you are communicating in all aspects.
If someone laughs at a child who is trying to answer, please take 2 minutes to communicate that you all are one team working to achieve the same goal. Tell them that even you will not laugh and relate it to the norms/commitments of your class.

I hope this helps.

Warm Regards
Mansi