This blog is for teachers, principals and other stakeholders who are part of the Attalim Schools' Professional Learning Community. This is a space for sharing success stories, student work, readings, reflections, questions and ideas. We hope this blog will encourage on-going dialogue, collaborative learning and professional growth, even as we focus our efforts on improving student learning.

This site is maintained by Reniscience Education LLP. <--- Click on the link to visit our page and support us!


Saturday 18 October 2014

Using Graphic Organizer for analyzing findings in Science grade 9th - Sunel (Science Dept.)

Teacher's Reflection: In this lesson students were able to differentiate between Dicot and Monocot plants for which I took them to the school garden and asked them to observe the plants. After getting back to the classroom I divided them into groups (4 in each group) and asked them to discuss their findings. Then they shared their learnings on the charts and were able find and list differences between both types of plants.
   I found that it was very easy for me as a teacher to make them differentiate between two concepts by using Graphic Organizer.







3 comments:

Reniscience Education said...

I am happy to hear that you took them out! What a great idea!

Have you considered using a Venn Diagram as a graphic organizer to do compare and contrast?

murtaza said...

Teacher's response: Before doing this I had considered using a Venn Diagram but I though that using Venn Diagram will only help on finding similarities and differences between the two concepts i.e. monocot and dicot plants. My learning outcome of this lesson was to identify the features, characteristics and functions of both type of plants and not comparing between. them
Though I had used this GO (Venn Daigram) in the consecutive lesson where my learning outcome was to show them similarities and differences between the 2 types of plants.

Reniscience Education said...

Ah ok. It was a bit confusing as in your lesson plan description, you mentioned differentiate. Still, I am glad you did use the venn GO later on :)